Getting those first few days of hot weather after a long winter and cool spring is always an exciting moment for those of us who love summer. But long before the heat sets in, it’s important to make sure your air conditioning unit is prepared for the season. After all, there’s nothing worse than being stuck without air conditioning when the dog days of summer set in.
Here are a few tips to help you get ready for the summer with air conditioning repair in Polk County, TN:
- Perform a visual inspection: First and foremost, walk around the unit outdoors and make sure all panels are in good condition. The panels enclose and protect all of the electrical components of the unit. If panels are damaged or missing, there could be safety risks with the unit, which means professional attention is necessary.
- Remove covers: It’s a good idea to keep the exterior unit covered throughout the winter, as you do not want snow or debris falling inside. But once the season for hot weather has hit, remove the cover. Keeping the cover in place while the unit is running could result in major damage.
- Check pipe insulation: You’ll likely notice a large copper pipe attached to your outdoor unit. This is the suction line, and its purpose is to keep the compressor cool. If the insulation is damaged or missing, the compressor will not be properly cooled, which means potential damage to your system, a loss of energy and a lack of cold air coming into your home. Make any repairs necessary to pipe insulation if it appears damaged.
- Change filters and clean the system: Once you’ve completed your outdoor inspection, head inside and check all of the air filters. If they appear dirty, it’s a good idea to replace them. Dirty air filters blow debris along with the cool air throughout your house, which can be troublesome for people who suffer from asthma or allergies. Check all return grills and supply vents, as well, to make sure they are free of debris before you turn on the unit.
- Try it out: Once you have performed all of the above steps, it’s time to make sure the system is functioning. It should only take a couple minutes before you feel cool air coming through your vents. If there is no air at all, or if the air that’s coming out is not cool, then something is wrong with the system. At this point, you can go back through the above steps to see if you can resolve the problem yourself. Otherwise, you may need to work with a qualified HVAC specialist.
Don’t be left without air conditioning this summer! Take the appropriate steps to keep your system well maintained so you can stay cool and comfortable when this year’s first heat wave hits. For assistance with air conditioning repair in Polk County, TN, or for any other HVAC needs, contact the trusted team at Higdon Heating & Air LLC today.