Furnace maintenance is a task many people don’t think about until they absolutely need to. As a result, many people find themselves in need of furnace repair in Polk County, TN when they realize their lack of maintenance has led to their unit breaking down.
But how exactly do you know when you need to seek out the services of a furnace repair expert? Here are a few tips to help you make that call:
- Unusual sounds: Clunks, bangs, scrapes and clangs are not normal furnace sounds, so if you hear any of these types of unusual sounds coming from your furnace, you’ve probably got issues that need resolving.
- System not working: If you aren’t getting any warm air coming through your vents no matter how much you crank up the thermostat, you could have one of several problems. Your thermostat might be malfunctioning, your entire furnace itself might be dying, you might have leaking air ducts—the only way to know for sure is to have an expert examine the problem.
- Furnace stops and starts: Again, the problem could be the thermostat, a pilot light, a motor or electrical wiring. If your furnace has a hard time staying on and running continuously, it needs to be repaired.
- Air quality has gone down: Have you and your family been having difficulties with allergies, more so than usual? This could be the result of problems in your furnace and air delivery system. Poorly functioning systems can spread mold, dust and other pollutants throughout your house, which can wreak havoc on your respiratory system.
- Electric bills are soaring: If you notice you are paying more than usual for your utilities, this could be because your furnace is running very inefficiently. This could be caused by any number of problems, so it’s important to have an expert check it out.
- Some rooms are cold: If you notice drafts in certain rooms, it could be because your furnace is not properly heating your entire house. This could be caused by air leaks or various other problems.
- Pilot light is yellow: If you notice the pilot light is burning yellow, this could indicate your furnace’s gas combination is not in good shape. You want there to be a blue flame in the furnace, because that shows there is a perfect balance of gases, whereas yellow could indicate such problems as carbon monoxide.
- Your furnace is old: Most furnaces are built to last for 10 to 20 years. If you have gone a decade without repairs, there’s a good chance your furnace is in need of some maintenance. If it is toward the upper end of that 20-year range, it may also be time for you to start looking into a replacement unit.
If you have noticed any of the above problems, it is important for you to arrange for furnace repair in Polk County, TN. Contact the experienced team at Higdon Heating & Air LLC for more information about how to get started.