Before you know it, it will be time to run your air conditioning! Stay cool and avoid the worst of summer by addressing any needs for AC repair in Cleveland, TN before you fire up the unit. You may remember problems from last year, or you just prefer reliability over melting in the sweltering humid heat. Here is how you can prepare your air conditioner for summer and see if you need our assistance:
- Change filters: Even if your air conditioning has not run all winter, the filters can still be in sad shape. As they sit, they still collect dust, and that can be blown right back into your home when you fire up the air conditioner. Also, clogged filters slow down airflow, which can cause a shutdown when the cooling coils ice up. Before you start cooling your home, change the filter even if you put in a clean one before you shut it down last year. This simple step prevents expensive repairs later, so it is worth the effort.
- Clear debris: If your air conditioner has an outside unit, trim shrubs and remove any weeds that grew around it. Plants can get stuck in blowers and obstruct airflow. Clean leaves from it too for the same reason—you do not want to look forward to a cooled home only to jam up your air conditioner the minute you start it up. Some units can be hosed off, but check your manual to be sure. If you have an indoor central unit or your machine seems a bit complex, you can call us in to clean it out thoroughly.
- Inspect ducts: If you have a ducted system, check for rugs or furniture blocking the registers. You will waste a lot of energy if you skip this step. Also, open registers and see if anything fell inside. Checking for mold is also a prudent step, especially if you have household members with respiratory sensitivities. You may have to call a duct cleaning company to address any issues.
- Start the thermostat high: The first time you fire up your air conditioner, you should start it at a higher, less-demanding temperature. Sixty-eight degrees is a good start, and as the system breaks in, you can lower it from there. When you run the air conditioner at this level, listen for sounds and pay attention for odors. These could indicate a problem that requires repair.
- Address past-due repairs: If you remember problems from last year, call us to address them now. You likely want a pleasant summer where you can escape the heat with an air conditioned home, rather than one where you seem to roast to death before we arrive to rescue you. If you have not had a maintenance appointment for your air conditioning for a while, that is another reason you may require our assistance.
To schedule an appointment for AC repair in Cleveland, TN, call Higdon Heating & Air LLC today. We also offer 24/7 emergency repair services.